What You’re REALLY Hungry For – Season 1, Episode 021
Your Questions, Answered!
Sexuality: How To Let Go Of Shame And Embrace Pleasure
For this week’s episode of What You’re REALLY Hungry For, I had an incredibly fascinating and very important conversation with nationally recognized sex expert Dr. Shannon Chavez.
We discussed why it’s not shameful to openly talk about sex (and why you should), how you can figure out what you really enjoy, among many other juicy things.
Hardly anyone would say their sex life couldn’t possibly get any better or they have the “perfect” definition of what amazing sex is, which is why so many of you had some great questions after watching!
- A lot of my shame around sex comes from thinking I’m not meeting my partner’s expectations. But the truth is, I have no idea what they are. We haven’t ever really talked about it. Do you have any suggestions for how to start a good conversation around this on our own (versus going to a third-party therapist since I’m not sure we’re there yet)?
- I’m all for being open about sex—rather than hiding it and treating it like it’s a shameful act. But still, even in social circles with friends, it’s sometimes considered wildly inappropriate to talk about your sex life or sexuality. People judge you. How do you know where to draw the line? Should a line even be drawn?
- Shannon shared that one exercise she encourages her clients to do is to look at themselves in the mirror — naked. I could see how that could be empowering for some, but for me it makes me feel way more insecure. Once and for all I’d like to stop thinking about my flaws during sex, but how?
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- TRANSCENDENTAL MEDITATION
- THE 5 LOVE LANGUAGES BY GARY CHAPMAN
- NONVIOLENT COMMUNICATION BY DR. MARSHALL B. ROSENBERG
- SPIRITUAL PARTNERSHIP BY GARY ZUKAV
- YES, NO, MAYBE CHECKLIST: 23 SIMPLE QUESTIONS TO MAKE SURE YOU GET EVERYTHING YOU WANT IN BED (FREE GUIDE)