When I was pregnant with Rain I remember craving those yummy sandwiches from my childhood so I created this Vegan Sloppy Joes Recipe (aka Faux Joes).
It’s completely plant-based, packed with fiber, protein and nutrients and hits the spot every time. Even your kids will love it! Guaranteed!
Vegan Sloppy Joes recipe
- 1 cup uncooked brown or green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced small
- 1 green pepper, diced small
- 1 c organic ketchup
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 1 Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp organic maple syrup
- 4 sprouted grain buns
- Put the lentils and water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until lentils are soft. Remove from stove, drain and put aside.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion and pepper in olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until onion is transparent. This will take 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for 15 minutes.
- Dig in!
What comfort food would you like to have a healthier recipe for?
Let’s make magic happen in the comments!