Summer has arrived! And with it comes fun in the sun, relaxation and travel. Unfortunately, heading out of town can often mean ditching your healthy eating plan, gaining weight and feeling tired and bloated.
But, don’t fret! Use these 10 simple tips while out and about this summer to stay slim, hot and healthy!
1. Know your destination – Before you head out, map out the location of grocery stores and health food stores. Make a quick shopping list so you can stock up on the basic healthy essentials like fruits, nuts, and even supplements like protein powders! Also, locate healthy restaurants in the area and check out their menu in advance so you know there are fat-burning, healthy and hot meal options! Also, make sure you have a list of the Hungry Hottie “Healthy and Hot vs. Not So Healthy Or Hot” foods to make shopping and dining out a breeze!
2. Eat before you go – Before boarding the plane, train or automobile, make sure your tummy is full! There is no way of knowing what kind of meal you will get during your travels or what kind of toxic ingredients it will contain. By eating a healthful, filling meal you won’t have to worry about this!
3. Give yourself plenty of time – There’s nothing worse than rushing through the airport or burning rubber down the highway because you’re running late. This creates undue stress, which causes your body to produce cortisol that can lead to increased belly fat – the LAST thing you want during the summer! Figure out what time you have to leave to arrive at your destination on time and then leave 30 minutes earlier.
4. Walk everywhere. Run if you can. Bike if it’s available. – Sneak in activity by making it a point to walk everywhere you can, run if you can and bike any time it’s available. For example, skip the train in the airport and walk through the concourses instead. If you feel up for a light jog instead, go for it! People are used to seeing sprinters in the airport so you won’t stand out at all! When you reach your destination, rent a bike to get about town instead of driving. These simple things add up quickly!
5. Come prepared – Pack food to take with you that doesn’t require refrigersation and is easy to eat. Things like dried frit, nuts, fresh fruit and even small servings of protein powder that you can mix up quickly and easily are great to help prevent weight gain! Some of my favorites are dried seaweed for a salty crunch and Artisana single packs of nut butters.
6. Sleep – It’s a given that we get more tired when we travel. Quite frankly, there are times that it’s exhausting! The problem with this is when we’re sleep-deprived, our levels of leptin, the hormone that regulates appetite and tells us when we’re full, decreases. This, in addition to the higher levels of ghrelin, the hormone that tells us when we’re hungry, leads you to believe that you’re starving! Get extra rest on the plane, in the car, on the train or when you arrive at your destination to make sure you avoid this.
7. Stay hydrated – Thirst is often disguised as hunger so make sure that you have some water, or even better – coconut water, with you at all times. This will also help prevent headaches and nausea. If you’re prone to upset stomachs, take some herbal tea like ginger, lavender or chamomile with you.
8. Stay smooth – One of the fastest, healthiest meals you can have – that also happens to be super convenient when traveling – is a smoothie! My favorite is The Hungry Hottie Smoothie (shocking, I know). Most hotels will provide a blender but it’s a great idea to toss a small immersion blender in your bag so you can make a yummy smoothie anytime!
9. Remember to reconnect – Most of us travel to get away, relax and rebuild but what can end up happening is we get so caught up on what’s going on outside of us (the amusement parks, the food, the company, the activities) that we forget to tune in to what’s going on inside of us. It’s super important to reconnect with your inner self from time to time to help remember who you are. This will help curb cravings and keep you on a healthy path – mind, body and spirit.
10. Use your hottie tottie little body to get even hotter – Most people don’t workout when they travel because they don’t have a gym or equipment. The thing is, you don’t need it! I recommend (and indulge in) Joyful Movement when traveling. Chase fireflies at night, run along the beach with your kids, do sit-ups on the beach, push-ups against a wall and calf-raises while brushing your teeth! You have everything you need to move already built in!
Bonus Tip – Eat chocolate – If you’re tempted to indulge (and why not, you’re on vacation!) have a piece or two of dark chocolate. Enjoy it with a cup of hot peppermint tea, alone or melted over fresh fruit! It’s rich in antioxidants, contains mood-boosting hormones and contains less sugar than milk chocolate!
These simple, but powerful, tips will ensure your travels are enjoyable and your mind, body and spirit are nourished!